Beetles

A.A. Milne is famous for creating Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends, that are now a huge franchise thanks to Disney.

Lately, I have been spotting beetles everywhere. Thanks to Google Lens I have been learning their names and my favourite so far has been the 'picnic bug'. Although, as I live in Europe, the variety of Glischrochilus I spotted is bigger than the North American picnic bug, so is the European bark bug, a less fun name.

Beetles always bring to mind A.A. Milne's poem 'Forgiven' from his 1927 collection of poems 'Now We Are Six'. I love how the tone matches how infants, in my experience, process information: 'she said she didn't mean it, and I never said she did...', which to me implies the teller thought otherwise and is trying to believe that 'she didn't mean it' by repeating the nanny's words.

Comments

Popular Posts