The Purple Cow

https://poets.org/poem/purple-cow

This poem has been one of my favourites for a very long time. I think my Grandad had something to do with me discovering it, but I'm not exactly certain. I do remember having it on my wall as a pre-teen/teenager, and it has stuck with me ever since.

I often wonder if it was the inspiration for the chocolate company Milka's colour scheme, but I imagine not as their colour is lilac, rather than purple. Written in 1895 by American Gelett Burgess, a name that interests me in the sheer uniqueness of it and the fact that he is ascribed to have coined the term 'blurb', the poem is nonsensical but makes me chuckle at the idea of having to choose between seeing a purple cow, or being one. I am yet to dress up as a purple for a school dress up day, but it is on my to-do list.

Comments

Popular Posts