Hiring a car is always a gamble.

so I got stung by the car rental company.

I come back to my rental car, two weekends ago, and it's been keyed...you know, a big looooong scratch down the side of it.  A brand new car at that too.  "Oh well..." I think, "...I paid for that no excess thing."  Yeh.  Never trust your car hire rental agreements.  Apparently because I didn't pay for the "Car Protection Plus" AND the "PAI something-or-other", I have to pay for the damage.  The funny thing is that these two things were not even an option when I booked the car on the internet, or when I collected it.  Going to try and sort that out, see if I've got a leg to stand on with that nonsense, only God knows.

So.  In light of that, I've bought a years cover for rental hire, considering that in the next five weeks I will hire a car for three separate weekends, in two countries. That way I may have a little bit more chance of getting my money back as the idea is you just hire the car with the rental company's base insurance then if there's any problems you pay the rental company's excess then claim it back from your insurance policy.

In all of this I'm feeling ok.  Money is only money at the end of the day, and having a car for a weekend is worth so much more than "money".  The freedom of cruising through the Italian countryside, winding through small hill-top towns and stopping off to take in the scenery is what I'm working my butt off during the week to do.  With my bicycle there are just some places I cannot get to as easily, although I'd definitely give it a go!

And on that note, a friend of mine is raising money for Macmillan Cancer Nurses by cycling from London to Paris...that's definitely further than my bi-weekly cycle to Francavilla.  So if you're wondering where your next tithe, or charitable act should go to, I suggest this cause.  All the proceeds my friend and his mate raise will remain with the Isle of Wight branch of Macmillan who help cancer sufferers and their friends and family through the tough times that cancer brings.  If you're like me, you'll have known many, many people who have been diagnosed with cancer at some point or another so I put that cause "up there", with the others.  You can sponsor them here.

Comments

Popular Posts