Christmas

I think Christmas brings such hope and joy during the darkest time of year. Although it isn't my favourite part of the church calendar it is always nice to see people rocking up to church to mark the occasion, filling church buildings more than an average Sunday. Here are a few words I have collated inspired by the Christingle service I attended this year.

Christingle
A worldly orange with a red ribbon rolled around it.
Four seasoned Gospel sticks, once skewered with fruit and candy,
are poked and pushed through the peel.
Juice rolls down onto the holder's hands, sticky and warm, as the candle flame flickers.
I catch a haunted glimpse of Jesus' blood running down his speared side,
but it is not the time to mention this to the innocent babe in the manager and the eager, anticipating eyes, that wait for His birth.
Now is the time to welcome;
to open my arms in warmth to greet Him;
to set my heart before Him, my gift, before He gifts his life for me, in mourning just months away.
An infinite sacrifice: me to Him, Him to me, repeat.

Comments

Popular Posts