Gauge

During my childhood I used the word gauge frequently when seeking items for the train track my brother had round his bedroom, I guess that's not that different to its use in crochet or knitting!

In my last crochet related post I referred to having issues with gauge. Since then I have 'opened a can of worms' as I endeavour to make the Enchanted Poncho pattern by Briana K Designs. As my third attempt to crochet a garment - the previous two I never completed - I really want to get this right.

The first yarn I tried was too thin, albeit a yarn that I had 'in stock' from the first attempt to crochet myself a garment. That yarn is now happily bagged up for another day. The pattern it is for is well worth another go, just when I have more uninterrupted time on my hands: my lifestyle nowadays means I need a project that can be easily picked up and put down at any point.

The second attempt was with a skein of yarn I got at a local shop. Having shown the shop owner the pattern, she assured me that it was thinner than I thought so I bought one skein of a yarn I liked, but it didn't work, even doubled up. I did get to 11 stitches within the required 10cm swatch, but I was waaaay off with the rows.

The third yarn has been more successful as I have managed to get to 10 stitches within the required 10cm. First I used my 7cm hook as per the pattern, too many stitches across though...
According to Briana K, when this happens you need a bigger hook so I undid the swatch and started again. This time I got to 11-12 stitches across in 10cm...nearly there!
As the spacing between the stitches is still quite close I decided to try again with the 9cm hook...voila! 10(ish) stitches across 10cm.
Now I just need to keep going round until I have completed 14 rounds, then count to see if I have 12 rows within 10cm...only time will tell!

N.B. Turns out a colloquial way of saying you have had to undo stitches, or 'rip' stitches, is to say 'I had to frog my crochet'. Apparently ripping stitches sounds like a frog 'ribbit', therefore 'frogging crochet/knitting/cross stitch' is a term! https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/what-is-frogging-in-crochet-978564 

Comments

Popular Posts