Stories

Having taught three to six olds for nearly a decade, stories are an important part of my teaching identity.

Stories are amazing. They have the power to communicate knowledge, concepts and ideas in ways that just fact recital cannot. Whether through spoken or written words, songs or rhymes, music or pictures, on-screen or in person, the imagination can create thoughts, feelings, actions and behaviours based on a story.

What I love in particular is how stories and books are a great metaphor for life, it helps me get through a day. For example, cycling to work this morning was a chapter in the volume '6th July 2021', which can be broken down into: words - the individual steps and movements while cycling; sentences - each specific road/block I cycled; paragraphs - the neighbourhoods I passed through; and pages - the main directions i.e. head south, go west. My commute had a beginning, middle and an end, like any good story, and it had lots of conflicts and resolutions (reversing cars out of parking spaces occurred a lot this morning).

What stories did you have in your day?

Comments

Popular Posts