An Awesome August

In a warehouse in Ascoli Piceno, eighteen boxes contain all of my worldly possessions.  I say all...I've still got a lot of stuff loitering in my bedroom on the Isle of Wight, waiting for it's moment to be once again in use...but all of the stuff I've deemed useful from my four years in Pescara is now in storage.

So.  August.  What a busy month!  I spent the first 7 days in Pescara, rounding up the last bits and pieces one does when leaving somewhere.  After a breakfast here, a lunch there, a Catan game and a lot of arrosticini and gelato I'd managed to see the majority of people I wanted to see before leaving.  I also sold my bicycle and electric piano before declaring myself no longer the resident of my flat to hopefully avoid any more bin tax.

The second week of August I was on the Island.  One whole week on the Island!  I saw friends and family; revisited tourist attractions and did a little bit of shopping, all with my piano teacher's 18 year old daughter in tow!  She stayed with my parents and I as her holiday between high school and University.  It was great to have her company as I did my rounds of usual 'Island' stuff.

On to the third week of August which consisted of: 3 nights with an awesome friend in Gloucester, 1 sushi lunch with a bride and groom to-be near St. Pauls cathedral, a catch-up cuppa with my housemates from my London days at Marylebone, an overnight stay in Aylesbury to see my fantastic girls, 3 nights in Thetford with my best friend and her family and 1 night somewhere in the Wiltshire countryside.  Surprisingly everything went smoothly: I had no transport issues nor days where I forgot where I had to be!

That leaves me with the last week of August: if you need me, I'm on a boat plodding along the Kennet and Avon Canal somewhere between Bradford on Avon and Crofton.  But please, I want to enjoy this calm before the storm ahead so I'm being slack on communicating with the outside world.  I'm enjoying pretending to be 'Captain Laura' having navigated our boat through a flight of 16 locks in tandem with another boat.  And that was after getting drenched to the point my lips really did turn blue.

It's rained every-single-day.  I have been wearing the same clothes for five days in a row only to change for the evening meals at the pub.  And today, my 29th birthday, is no exception.  The rain, however, isn't with us yet so we're enjoying a bit of natural warmth from the sun itself.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.  As usual this day marks the end and beginning of me so I'll continue enjoying the peaceful sound of the water lapping against the side of the boat while I can.

As a result of an amazing month, I thank God for friends family scrabble, cups of tea, Hobknobs and sunshine.

Comments

Popular Posts