Rolling with it

Yes, I know there are many photos of my travels that I should probably be posting up but I haven't taken the time to sort them out yet...

So, as everyone knows, the come-down after a big adventure is tough.  Whilst in Chicago I booked return flights for a weekend in London at the end of September (Ryanair had a sale) to help cope with the return to Pescara.  I have no idea what I'm going to do, where I'm going to go, who I'm going to see.  A few of my friends that I've contacted are not available that weekend and I've not really explored all my options.  I've got to decide if I need to hire a car by the 8th September as the company I book through have a sale for the UK that day and that's it.  I'm just going to 'roll with it'.  Oh, and remember to check my friend's availability BEFORE booking the flights next time...

Work wise, it's been a shock.  Without the more experienced kids, you know, the ones who speak English pretty fluently after 3 years, it's a very different dynamic.  I know that organisation is the key and now we've experienced a week of, well, chaos, we've got the foundation to start getting organised.  As I get annoyed at chaos so easily, I tie myself in knots and that's not fair on neither my colleagues nor the children.  When there are children running round in circles, not responding to anything I seem to do or say, for the moment I just have to breathe, and yep, 'roll with it'.  After all, children love to run, I've just got to make sure they're doing so safely!

A sculpture in the
Metropolitan Art Museum,
New York, that nicely represents
how I feel about
...dah, dah, dahhhhh...
the 'future'
The future is ahead and my decision to leave my current post gnaws* at me constantly.  Where am I going?
 What should I do?  Do I return to England to be closer to my beloved friends and family?  If I do, am I able to handle being a classroom teacher even though it nearly killed me last time?  But if I don't go back in the classroom, does a suitable alternative exist?...an alternative that can feed my 'jack of all trades, master of none', 'keep me on my toes' likes? ...and if I stay in Italy...where?  Does an Italian city exist where I can feel neither 'big fish, small pond', nor 'small fish, big pond'?  Can I find a city lifestyle with a good balance between the known and unknown that remains after three years?  If so, how do I know?  Would I be able to get a job in an International School?  Or should I, yet again, up sticks and move on completely?  Change everything, school, house, country, even continent?  Yep, just going to have to roll with it...

And then there's the conversations to myself about my last Masters submission: "No Laura, you can't change it now."..."Yes Laura, it has been submitted, you checked yesterday."..."...and No, reading that last section through is not going to help you solve anything."..."Patience Laura, what mark you get is what you get...four days with just 3 hours sleep is your own fault, and if that affected the quality of the submission, well, you do only have yourself to blame...".  Rolling.  With.  It.

It's an exciting time rolled out ahead, only God knows where I'll end up.

*I had to look-up the spelling of 'gnaw', I originally wrote 'knaw'...then 'naw'...then Googled the synonyms of 'chew' to find the correct spelling, as you do.

Comments

Popular Posts