Holiday: New York pt 1

Life is temporary like a Transformer

I arrived into Newark airport on Tuesday 19th August and stayed with my friends near Hoboken, New Jersey, for four nights.  In that time I navigated the public transport system (bus, PATH, light rail, subway), I would say, quite successfully but had to get used to recrossing the same Avenue/Street whilst getting my bearings once off of transport.

On Wednesday I walked the High Line (see photo), ate clam chowder and sat on different benches, around Washington Street Park just people watching.  We then went to a rooftop bar for drinks which was pretty awesome.

On Thursday I had my first ever surfing lesson at Rockaway beach during which I got bitten by a crab, bumped on the head a few times whilst falling off and saw dolphins.  To regain some sustenance we headed to a fish taco hut for my first taste of fish tacos...it was like a fish finger sandwich (a.k.a my favourite food) on caffeine, so yummy.  That evening I happily surrended to the suggestion to a night in.

On Friday I ventured to the Metropolitan Art Museum and bought myself a sketch book before wandering the hundreds of rooms.  I became disorientated regularly but did see many a painting and pretty thing.  It's amazing to see so much history and visions of the past frozen in time that can be looked at, and interpreted, by the likes of little old me.  I was a bit frustrated my the musical instrument bit because, although interesting to look at, musical instruments are to be heard to be fully appreciated.

On Saturday I missioned to my other friends apartment in Manhatten, armed with my 25kg suitcase, backpack and handbag.  After a bus, subway, and another bus, I landed at my friends, where, yet again, my good ol' British accent meant the doorman heard Dora, rather than, you know, Laura.  Quite entertaining really.

After dumping my stuff, we went to my friends rooftop garden for a BBQ, followed by a quick drink in a beer garden then home.  It was a peaceful Saturday, with many taxi rides here, there, and over there again.

On Sunday we headed to Broadway!!  We got discounted tickets to see the Avenue Q matinee which was hilarious.  I highly recommend it as a show, genius, especially if you too are questioning your 'purpose' as myself.  After the show we ate sliders (small burgers), drank beer and then headed home.

On Monday we have wandered around Wall St and the 9/11 memorial, after I'd devoured a ridiculously chocolaty cupcake from a cute cupcake shop.  The fountains where the twin towers were are quite impressive, large, and seemingly bottomless.  It's so strange to think how a few minutes can change the course of so many lives and affect so many but the memorial is one way to ensure such a strange tragedy, such as 9/11, can make a difference to those directly affectes, and all those who visit it.  Life really is temporary.

Comments

Popular Posts