Borrace di poesia, again!

I'm a translating poet, and I definitely know it!

I am still proud to be helping a friend with his project.  As I've explained before, Borracce di poesia combines two of my favourite things: poems and cycling.  Since living in Pescara my bicycle and I have conquered the World (well the World of Pescara).  I now have a commute of 20 minutes to work everyday rather than just for the Summer School in July and I cycle 40 minutes to church on Sundays.  I'm definitely getting my daily forty minutes of "cardio" as kindly pointed out by one of my friends.  I'm pretty certain I won't be so happy about this when it's pissing down with rain, snow, sleet and hail that always seems to commence coincidentally at 18:30 when I finish work.  Sundays I cycle to church which is 40 minutes away, although I have been known to do it in 25 minutes thanks to Azzurra's incredible time warping skillz.  Anyway...let me get to the point...

Borracce is off to Vienna again for the cycling festival Radkult.  As a result I've been busy translating some additional poems for this new adventure.  Even though it's "work" it is something I really enjoy doing as there's the challenge of ensuring the imagery and sense is not lost but is repeated in a stand alone English version of the quatrain.  It's one of those things that I get really engrossed in as quite often, because it seems Italian words often have more syllables than English words, I get caught up with whether or not a "the" is needed, or if there is a two syllable word to describe the wind.  I do look a bit ridiculous when I'm counting the syllables by dropping my jaw onto my fingers..."tyre" (or "tire" if you're American) was particularly confusing.  I decided it's only one syllable after reading a ridculously long forum argument about it.

So if you happen to be in Vienna this weekend, head on down to listen to the readings of the latest poems and grab yourself a water-bottle.  Personally, I'm waiting for the t-shirt of this poem to be printed  :-)

Comments

Popular Posts