Prickles and Yumminess

Today I've spent the day escaping from all the routines I seem to have accrued recently: Roccascalegna was the destination with three very awesome people :-)

Whilst walking around the castle I discovered the true meaning of the lyrics from "The Bare Necessities":
Now when you pick a pawpaw 
Or a prickly pear 
And you prick a raw paw 
Next time beware 
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw 
When you pick a pear 
Try to use the claw

Do not catch a prickly pear (fico d'india) with your hand, there's a clue why in the English name!  These "pears" are not prickly like rose-thorns or brambles, oh no, they are sneaky prickles who say "Haha, you can't see me, I'm so small."  Therefore I have spent the rest of the day searching for prickles that I know are there on my fingers and palms...lovely!


For lunch we ate a fair bit in an Agriturismo (restaurant who make most of the stuff, and source the ingredients locally).  This agriturismo knew how to do antipasti, lots of antipasti, yummy and scrummy and just down-right delicious antipasti!  Annoylingly, as we were preoccupied with the eating of the yumminess, there is no photographic evidence, but it was an impressive spread: hams and cheeses, ricotta with jam, some sort of liver dish, beetroot, aubergine, and some other stuff that I happily ate, with some awesome unleavened bread too.  The primi (Pasta) dishes weren't as amazing, but still good, however the cake with the coffee made up for the disappointment as it was amazing...so we had it twice!

Of course, after a short expedition to an Abbey, there was a stop off at a Gelateria for ice-cream.  I am very happy to see the sunshine out more often as that means more ice-cream can be consumed on a regular...*cough* daily *cough*...basis, hooray!

That leaves just one moral for this week's "Sunday Funday": be aware of the prickly pear, it's VERY prickly.

Comments

Popular Posts