I Spy...

...with my little eye..., is quite possibly the best game ever invented.

I'm gutted I never used "I spy..." as a time-filler when I taught in London. It's versatile, suitable for large groups and individuals, and gets the children speaking too. Not only can you say "something beginning with..." as is the traditional format but colours, shapes, size etc. and my class enjoy it.

Today I think I played the best game of "I spy..." ever. It was between myself and one member of my class:

Me: I spy with my little eye something red.

Child runs around finding all things red. I give more clues to help them get to the specific item I am thinking of (sometimes the point is just to find anything that matches the word but not this time).

Child finds it, it was the red bin if you're wondering, so they take their turn:

Child: I spy with my little eye...everything. Your turn.

It was the quickest and most ingenious way I've known someone to make sure they get to be the 'finder'. Sheer brilliance! They repeated it for their next go too.

Comments

  1. It also gets tricky when the children are learning to spell. One game of I spy with my daughter when like this
    Daughter - I spy with my little eye something beginning with s (said as it sounds which was the way she was learning her letters)
    Me - sock, sugar, shoe, stone etc etc
    Daughter - all wrong, do you give in?
    Me - yes
    Daughter - ceiling!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts