What is it with onions?

A while back I had a problem buying onions (see here: A hat or an onion, that is the question.) and the other day onions caused another language classic!

My piano teacher is in the process of moving house so as a result I am having my piano lessons at her Mum's.  Here's the scenario.  It's 12:45 on Tuesday, I've just finished my lesson and I am about to go to work where I'll eat my lunch.  My piano-teacher knows I make all my lunches in one go and take it to reheat at work so she asks me what I have for lunch today.

"Ho preparato un risotto." I say proudly (I've prepared a risotto.)

"Con sugo?"  (with sauce) the Mum asks.

"No, no, con brodo, pollo and agnello ma non ricordo che tipo di agnello" 

Now it is at this point that I think I have said: "No, no, with stock, chicken and onion but I don't remember what type of onion."  So my piano-teacher and her Mum start to help me out, giving me ideas of what type of onion:

"arrosto?" (Roast)

I think "Why would I put roast onions in my risotto?" so start racking my brains for the word for spring onions (I only saw it at the supermarket the day before) as they obviously hadn't understood my amazing Italian skills.  

"In inglese la parola e' come primavera, agnello primavera."  (In English the word is like spring, spring onion.)

Blank expressions.  I try describing it instead.

"E' bianco con foglie verdi..." (It's white with green leaves.) Of course I use hand actions to illustrate the white is rounded and at the base with long and thin leaves....

This only adds to the blank expressions and one of them says "...agnello?!" with an intonation of disbelief.

It's at this point that the realisation sets in...

I burst out laughing: "Ho detto agnello?!....Nooo...cipolla!" (I said lamb?!....Nooo...onion!) Thankfully once this was sorted out we all understood the ingredients to the risotto.

So, there we go.  Cipolla.  It's a tricky word.  And apparently not only do I mix it up with cappello (hat) but also agnello (lamb).  Marvellous!

And it's back to the essay about the strength's and weaknesses within a rather irritating article about the concepts of learning and the related research methodologies...joyous!

Comments

Popular Posts