A Random Drive in the English Countryside

Whilst staying with my best friends we faced a dilemma of how to spend a Saturday that promised unpredictable weather...

...so we got in the car and drove East. Literally.

Turns out that due east of my friends current house there is a village with a random hairdresser/second-hand shop ran by an old lady. We were pretty certain she was a carboot Queen and scoured local carboots for bargain items she could mark up and flog in her shop. Nearby though there was a child-friendly pub with an indoor ball-pool and an outdoor bouncy castle. If only I was seven!!

On the drive out we got caught in a heavy shower whilst scouting out a stream suitable for lazy day walking and fishing. But that was compensated by stopping at a bridge on the way back when it was sunny. There were ducks that were very disappointed we didn't have any food. They emerged from under a sweeping weeping willow that draped majestically into the water from the riverbank. Thankfully an elderly couple with some bread answered their pleas.

I can see my friends whiling away many hours feeding the ducks from that bank, especially as their new house is a 10 minute drive away. The next time I see them they will have moved and should be living in their new house as Monday I return to Pescara with no immediate plan to return to England until Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts