Directions

The friends I have staying with me at the moment have hired a car.  This has meant that I managed to visit a place that I've wanted to visit for a while.  A selfish act really, to tell my friends who are on holiday how to spend their Saturday afternoon, but I'm certain they loved the place as much as me, if not more.

The driving style in Pescara, to me, seems to be one of the only times that people here actually move quickly.  I still walk at a quicker pace than the majority of people when I'm "strolling" along Lungomare and that's after halving the speed of my pace since being here...the power stride of city living is not exactly needed.  For this reason I've been very impressed at how well my friend is doing driving in a country that is renowned for recklessness on the roads.  He definitely deserves a gold star!

To make driving even more...interesting...to follow "Google" map directions is nearly impossible here.  The names of roads e.g. Via blah, blah, blah, are not marked on country roads and road numbers can also be hard to find.  Thankfully this is something that I have experienced in the past so when looking up the directions for San Bartolomeo, where we spent our Saturday afternoon, I focused on looking at the map for the names of the towns and villages that we passed through.  This is a tactic that has proved to be much handier as the actual signposts for places are much more common.

So here we are.  For anybody ever going to the hermitage in San Bartolomeo from Pescara, here's the directions that got us there, first time...




...and just in case you're wondering why you need the directions to this place, take a look at my photos below (N.B. no photograph will ever give this place any justice).  I hope to return there over and over and over again, in every season.  It's a peaceful haven where time stood still and washed over me.

 





...if the scenery and the hermitage itself isn't enough to convince you to go, we also saw a lot of wildlife: ranging from ghastly prehistoric looking critters (turns out they were Caddisflies emerging from their cocoons and Crested Newts, peculiar looking things) to a magnificent Golden Eagle soaring up on the thermals with it's distinctive white-flash under it's wings, absolutely stunning.

Comments

Popular Posts