Bari: a lot can happen in one hour, forty-five

On the way to Lecce this weekend I had an hour and forty-five minute stop over in Bari (saving me €15 which I then went and spent IN Bari, of course). In this short time walking around in warm sunshine a few things caught my attention:

• Whilst sitting on a bench to get my bearings, an older gentleman joined me who enquired about the buses. This, of course, is not that strange but he was so deliberate in this act that it was very obvious that I had met the first stereotypical "southern" Italian man with an eye for talking to the ladies. I explained I was English, put my phone away and walked off.

• More people, of all shapes and sizes, were wearing more high-end designer gear than any collective high street of people I have seen on my visits to Milan or Rome. Prada boots for a leisurely Saturday morning stroll; leather bags emblazoned with brand names for carrying the humble Saturday shop; suits, with neck-tie and waistcoat...

• I have been approached 3 times by charity workers who were very happy with the response "Scusa, sono inglese." Noone then switched to English, or carried on talking anyway. Plus I have seen well dressed people actually stopped in the street listening intently to said charity workers, as if that was what Saturday mornings were made for.

• There was the usual Feltrinelli's book/music shop lurking on a street corner where I purchased a large, one-sided map of Italy so that I can put it on my wall at home and mark the location of all my adventures.

• Finally, I have decided there is nothing worse than using a public toilet when you know the person before you was throwing-up...but when I gotta wee, I gotta wee!

Despite the variety of odd people just...well...sitting around, I like a Saturday morning stroll when the sun's shining in Bari.

Comments

Popular Posts