Yeh, I went skiing and...

...it turns out "falling with style" is pretty painful the next day!

I've spent today with a neck-ache, backache, stiff shoulders, and sore calves.  Surprisingly though I've only got one bruise and no broken bones, hurrah!  For someone who tumbled at least six times down hill (yeh, alright, ten times) I think that's pretty impressive.

Yesterday was one of those days that thankfully lasted a long time.  Time seemed to go very slowly, especially when I had to traipse up a hill for half an hour only to go back down it again in a few minutes.  I say a few minutes, at times it was longer because it takes a while to stand up and set off again when your legs are bent underneath you still attached to the skis that made you fall in the first place.

Something that has come out of yesterday is that the damn plough/pizza thing is ruddy tricky.  I'm not entirely sure how this thing is supposed to slow you down.  I mean, I understand the basic logistics of creating friction with a larger surface area blah, blah, blah, but to actually remember the best way to achieve this when I'm hurtling...ooo at 15 mph maybe...down a hill, I found very hard.

One thing I did learn is that crouching down does not help...at all.  Thankfully, only a few people witnessed exactly what happened when I attempted to slow down by crouching down so that I was practically sitting on the skis.  But to aid your imagination; my arms and legs flail around a lot whilst I tumble through the air (at one point I lost control trying to avoid an unsuspecting stranger, only to end up laying at his feet with my skis and ski poles flying off in all directions).  And I even managed to fall over in mud...on a snowy mountain...MUD I tell you! 

So. The moral of this story is: practice makes perfect, as with every-ruddy-thing.

This post is linked to No Ordinary Blog Hop.

Comments

  1. I've never been skiing since I've lived most of my life in the south. :( Sounds like you had a fun time, even with all the falls. Hope the soreness goes quickly. Thanks for linking up to NOBH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts