Vest tops and a Tuesday Tune

How nice it is to have friends.

Friday-12:20.  My best friends get off the plane.  They are in vest tops whilst the average Italian has 3 tops and a puffer jacket.  "Just because the sun's out girls, doesn't mean it's warm!"


I left my friends in the centre of Pescara with my house keys and the simple direction of "walk straight" to return to my house.  I had to go to work.  Upon returning to my house six hours later, I found my friends had rearranged my room, located my DVD collection and were watching "Enchanted" in-between naps.  Two hours later we were sitting in one of my regular haunts of Old Town set for a night of eating, drinking and talking.

Before I left for Pescara, my two friends decided between them that I would meet an Italian called Paolo and be married within a year or so.  As yet, this has not happened.  However, as luck would have it, they started talking to a random Italian, who turned out to be called Paolo, of course!  This made their night; they found my Italian husband!  I did explain that 60% of Italian guys in Pescara are called Paolo...

We move onto Saturday. 

Now.  Anybody who has sat in the passenger seat of a car I am driving will definitely have some sort of tale to tell.  They range from normal driving related incidents (stalling) through to less common events; such as driving over 50cm high banks whilst turning.  If you ask around enough you will find someone with a down-right ridiculous story.  For example, my brother will happily tell you about the time we ended up at a forty-five degree angle between a bank and another car...that is a good story.

I tell you this because this weekend I drove in Italy.  I drove a left-hand drive car, on the right hand side of Italian roads.  It went quite well too, if you don't count stalling at every toll-booth/junction/traffic light and the u-turns and last minute turning decisions.  At least my friends managed to return to England relatively unscathed, well, physically.  They might have a few mental-health problems, nervous ticks, that kind of thing.

The purpose of inflicting my driving on my poor friends was to visit places in Abruzzo you can't reach by bike or bus.  We decided on Saturday morning that a place called Rocca Calascio would be our afternoon's destination.  The place is beautiful. 



Saturday night we managed to take an hour and a half to drive to a restaurant that is apparently only 40 minutes away (according to Google maps).  I think we went a bit wrong!  Thankfully my friends warmed to the Arrosticini that we had purposefully gone there to try. 

Sunday morning, we got up at 5.15am so that I could drive my friends (without stalling once!) back to the airport and return the car.

It was officially the quickest visit ever.  But it was pretty good.

In honour of this weekend's adventure, today's Tuesday Tune is a song that my friends and I murdered at karaoke in August.  The same night it was decided my friends would come and visit me together in early 2012.  How time flies!

Song: Wherever You Will Go
Artist: The Calling





Comments

Popular Posts