past the 3 month mark

So the younger brother arrived here yesterday.  I was extremely excited (and still am).  This has made me think about the adjustments I have made since being here as my life settles down to become a sort of "normality".

I look left then right when crossing the road.
I am used to walking down (and back up) 4 flights of steps with a bin in the morning to do my bit for recycling.
I am used to running down (and back up) 4 flights of steps with a bin at night to beat the timer on the light, to do my bit for recycling.
I buy my fruit and vegetables from a market instead of the supermarket.
I drink more water than ever before.
I can survive without playing the piano but it ruddy hurts my soul.
I am not able to survive without listening to music at some point everyday.
I find the Old Testament reading of the UCB notes much easier to read now I have the time.
I am not daunted by a lack of knowledge of the language, I've found it is others that impose this on me.
I can work with three and four year olds, and I actually enjoy it.
I have been able to live on my own quite happily.

But one thing will never change.  I still have no knowledge of "current affairs".  Changing country has not affected this, I did not expect it to.  But someone told me there's an economic crisis that could mean the end of the Euro.  I hope it's got nothing to do with Italy...!

Comments

  1. As long as it doesn't end the Euro this year, you'll be fine. In fact, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine either way. Worst thing happens, you can trade your childcare skills for vegetables... and maybe play the piano for your air fare home... if not, we'll row out and fetch you. Or something.

    I am VERY proud of your recycling dedication. It is something I have hoped to instill in my housemates, but they love it not, despite the proximity of the box to the bin. Le Sigh. I have high hopes that the example of your commitment will inspire them to greater levels. (They may try to put ME in the bin. If I don't comment for a while, this is why.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts