It's official...(and Tuesday's Tune)

...sometimes living away from home sucks.

Anyway.

As the brother left on Sunday I had agreed to go out Sunday night with some friends to a play/dinner and wine event.  I knew that I would be feeling a bit down after saying goodbye to the bro as, although it was awesome to see him, it brought to light all the homesickness feelings I've been avoiding for the past 3 months.

So.  Sunday night I found myself in a circular room, in a winery, lit only by candlelight, listening to "confessions" from 10 men who individually knelt beside me and talked for 5 minutes in Italian.  Right in my face too.  One of them even pulled me closer.  Talk about daunting!

Of course I had no idea what they were saying.  (just imagine now, sitting in a room with someone speaking a language that you only have a small knowledge of)  Odd words/sentences I understood like figlia, madre, adesso etc (daughter, mother, now etc) but without a concrete context i.e. restaurant, pictures, music etc, to match the "confessions" to, I was really stuck.  However this did turn out to be a good thing as 9 out of 10 confessions were pretty disgusting.

My Italian friends afterwards refused to relay all of the details back to me after the play as they themselves had found some of the confessions pretty disturbing.  Apparently one man had confessed, in detail, how he had....you know...had sex with a corpse.  Another proceeded to confess sleeping with his daughter before killing her, and I could go on but I don't want to.  It was a really "interesting" (might be the best word) evening which I really enjoyed.  The set up of the play could work in any language and it was very, very clever.  Most of the people were questioning what they had heard and it did make for some interesting conversations at dinner!

P.S.  No one has materialised to live in the spare room as yet, so I'm still Queen of my very own castle! 

Tuesday's Tune:  Addison's Uncle - B1159

I discovered this when reading Seth Lakeman's facebook page because I received his latest album (a signed copy).  This chap had left a comment on Seth Lakeman's page and I followed the link he left to a recent review.  Loving the randomness but brilliantness of this song.  Wish I could go see him...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts