The Bro. and Rome

So the younger bruv has returned to England and is probably enjoying crossing roads without having a near-death experience every time.

Ok.  So I went to Rome when my Mum was here in August and on reading the blog from that visit (Yeh...we went to Rome) I can safely say that my view of the city has improved.  The city is indeed "very big" and on my second visit I managed to cover some areas that I hadn't been to before.

Now, the truth: when walking around the city with my brother, I was all set to "blog" quite negatively about it.  I feel that the buildings are just all plonked together and then connected with strips of tarmac for good measure.  Almost akin to the cities I built when playing SimCity many, many moons ago.  But.  This was around the area of the Colosseum, and the Vittoriana thingy-ma-jig (a big, white monument to honour the first King of unified Italy) where there are wide roads  Something happened late in the day that completely, and I mean, completely changed my whole opinion of Rome.

I walked up the cupola (dome) of St. Peters.

It was amazing.  After being taken up "3-levels" in a lift there was an ascent of 300+ steps.  Hmm... the word "steps" doesn't quite cut it.  At one point the "steps" were a tight corkscrew with a vertical rope as the banister.  At another point they were in a claustrophobic, arched corridor just about wide enough for the majority of people and another set were slanting inwards, well the floor was slanting outwards and ceiling inwards, on account of being...in a dome...duh!...

However.  I never been so rewarded with such an ascent as when I emerged at the top.  It was sunset.  And it was beautiful. 

In fact, my writing is not good enough to convey the experience accurately.  Next time you see me ask me about it.


Comments

Popular Posts