Shopping

Yesterday I "blogged" about my problems with corkscrews and wine bottles, click here if you're not up-to-date on that situation, so I headed to the shops to resolve this issue.

Bad news folks; I didn't find a Laura friendly corkscrew.  Fortunately a comment from a friend has led me to remember that screw-top bottles do exist.  This is something I am going to seek out until I have the ultimate bottle opener.  

However, my shopping trip did prove to be successful.  In addition to the usual Tigre supermarket shop for the essentials; bread, milk, 100% orange juice, etc, I also managed to buy my vegetables at the Greengrocers.  This was a daunting, but rewarding experience.  At first I had no idea how to "collect" my vegetables but soon spied a pile of baskets-without-handles that would suffice.  I bumbled around picking up the corresponding vegetables to my list and felt a bit silly as I obviously had no idea how this "shopping" thing worked!  The reward came from finding some local, mixed mushrooms that were ideal for the mushrooms in pancakes recipe that I had planned for dinner this evening.  It was delicious.  (Thank you Karen for that recipe!)

On an aside note, I have discovered that the older generation of Pescarese seem to all talk about the same things.  When I say: "Non parlo molto italiano, sono inglese." - maybe "I don't speak much Italian, I am English.", they like to tell me what they studied at school.  It seems that English lessons didn't start "down these parts" of Italy forty/fifty years ago.  Thankfully they seem to be happy with just a smile and nod in response as, regardless of what they studied at school, I still don't speak much Italian!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts