Go Large - The Weekend - Part One

A few weeks ago I met Barbara in a bar as English speakers attract English speakers.  This weekend Barbara returned to the area with her husband and I ended up staying with them for 2 nights.  Here follows my recount of the weekend that can only be described as being "larger than life".

Saturday morning a friend asks me "What are your plans for the weekend?"  "Nothing." I replied.  How wrong I was!  Just 3 hours later, after a welcoming email from Barbara asking me to ring her if I was still free for the weekend, I am in a car with Barbara and Peter speeding down the motorway towards a small town outside of Pescara where they have an amazing holiday home (think A Place in the Sun).

However before actually reaching their house we visited an American couple that live in the town centre.  Two beers later and I'm back in the car being taken to an Italian's house, on top of a hill.  A self sufficient family who grow.....well....grow everything.  Fruit, vegetables, animals for meat, everything they need to live and feed their family of six, incredible.  But then again this is Italy, and this is what Italians who live in small communities do.  A glass of water and many hand shakes later we are back in the car heading for the house with three plum, juicy tomatoes and a massive, yellow melon which was gorgeous, sweet and juicy.

Finally we reached the house where I discovered.....FLAT PACK FURNITURE.  Amazing.  Six chairs and one table all from IKEA, needing to be made.  I love flat pack furniture.  It's so rewarding!  But, because a) I was chatting to Barbara and b) one of the screws hit a knot in the wood, I only managed to make two chairs.  And I got a blister.  Yep, my hands are pretty soft so I have a blister in the middle of my right hand that does look a little bit like a "stigmata".  Great.

Anyway.  That evening we went to a lovely restaurant with lots of English people and we had some amazing food.  Including a spaghetti pie.  Please take a moment to imagine this delicacy.  A large oval dish with a puff pastry top that has been twisted each end to keep it on the dish.  Inside there is spaghetti mixed with a tomato based sauce that is just enough to give the spaghetti some flavor.  It was very random but surprisingly tasty.  I ate so much. So so much.  In fact at one point the dish of pasta for the second Prima piatta was taken away from me before I ate it all.  Mmmm.....so good. 

Thankfully after the dinner we went home to get some well earned sleep!  Bliss.

Stay tuned for The Weekend - Part Two!

Comments

Popular Posts