20-22 agosto 2011

So we have arrived safely and have successfully purchased an unlimited internet access key/dongle, so now "Pakes in Pescara" can really start, all very exciting.  As there are essentially 3 days to cover below I have summed up the activities as best I can.  The events that follow aren't the only funny things to have happened, but they are the best!

20 agosoto 2011 (Saturday)
Travelling

The 2 coaches were like any other coach journeys except: on the second coach (Victoria to Stansted) a man got on, and as it was raining, shook his umbrella before sitting down.  This of course is usual practice for umbrella bearers, however not so brilliant when the remnants of the raindrops fall on the passengers legs behind...yes, that be my legs, now covered in cold water.  And as my Mum said when we were reminiscing this event later, it wasn't just a light sprinkle!

Stansted airport was like any other airport except: on going through security my hand luggage was packed so tightly that it was too dense for the women on the x-ray machine to examine so it got searched.  I have never met anyone who could move so slowly whilst taking things out of a bag.  But I am sure she has never met anyone who had managed to get so much stuff into a bag.  We did laugh when she pulled out my New King James Bible as I said "Yep, that's my bible."  "Everyone needs one."  the lady replied. "Well I've got two!" as she pulled out my second bible.  It was then that Mum explained that I was in fact moving to Italy and not just heading there for a weeks holiday.

Departures was like any other departures except: as soon as I crossed the line from security into duty-free I was promptly asked "How long are you leaving the country?" *Dammit (was my initial thought....) do I tell the truth?!*  So of course, being an honest person, I proudly stated, with a smile, "at least 2 years".  The lady then looked at her clipboard and exclaimed "oh...I need another form.".  The time it took me to answer the questions on the form amounted to the exact time it took my Mum to use the toilet facilities. 


Yep, a Ryanair wing tip...


The flight was like any other flight except: there was a very beautiful family sat in-front of us, 2 boys: Mario-about 2 years old and Julio-a lively 1 year old, with their parents.   Now throughout the flight they were very entertaining, standing on their seats and smiling at us, singing songs and the like until...there I was...minding my own business (playing Angry Birds) when *bang*  *fizzzzz*  *splash*.   I look down and my legs are covered in water, again!  Little Mario had opened the water bottle and it had (obviously due to the pressure) burst open and just happened to spray backwards.  Mum found this hilarious, the man next to me said it was a joke and the family were all smiles and apologies!


The arrival to Pescara was like any other arrival except: we had 4 very heavy bags.  So after a long debate (that had been going on all day), we decided to go and get the bus into the centre of Pescara and then walk.  However, this was not a wise move as once off the bus and heading for my apartment our arms were at least twice their original length and our hands were blistering.  20kg is a lot, 20 bags of sugar say, or 20 kg weights...anyway the decision was made to get a taxi once we had made it to the station.  So a very friendly taxi man took us to my apartment for a mere €8 (considering it was literally 2 minutes round the corner we can estimate that taxi's are expensive here short trips).

21 agosto 2011 (Sunday)
Exploring

Our walk around Pescara was like any other walk except: we were in need of food.  This was a problem because in Italy a Sunday really is a Sunday and nothing is open.  We did manage to find one supermarket that was open but we had walked in when there was only 5 minutes til closing.  Please imagine a "Supermarket Sweep" style shopping experience, picking up items that we needed but weren't necessarily what we were after.  For example, our bottle of orange juice turned out to be orange, lemon and carrot juice, the vitamin/once a day type juice.  Hilarious.

Mum finishing off her pizza!
Our evening dinner was like any other evening dinner except: twice the waitress attempted to give us food that wasn't ours.    It caused some hilarity amongst the staff as they teased the waitress for "liking us", but it did mean we actually left a 10% tip because she was very friendly.  The chef himself eventually brought our pizzas to us which was delicious.  Mum had a Divaola pizza and I had a Siciliana pizza followed by homemade Tiramisu, scrummy!

(Just one day left to report, I promise)

22 agosto 2011 (Monday)
 Shopping

The shopping trip was like any other shopping trip except: we had to buy an internet key.  This is much trickier when you cannot speak Italian.  After a good 20 minute wait, there proceeded a stereotypical conversation between a foreigner (being me) and shop assistant as with a limited knowledge of each others language the meaning of words gets lost, twisted and missed.  However we muddled through and I also bought a new mobile, a lovely Nokia brick.  Easy, I thought, until we realised that the mobile does not have a SIM card.  Amongst the conversation I somehow told the lady I needed the phone for the internet SIM card.  Genius.  When in reality I needed both an internet SIM for my laptop and a SIM for the mobile.  Any guesses for what I will be doing this afternoon.......

Comments

Popular Posts